Saturday 5 May 2012

What drew me to the pan Afrikanist bloc? by Malaika wa Azania

by Malaika Wa Azania on Monday, May 2, 2011 at 5:08am ·
I was introduced to the philosophy of pan Afrikanism on the 16th of June 2010,exactly 10 months ago.At the time,i had just joined matriculated and had joined a network in the Black Consciousness Movement,Blackwash.Infact,it was my first day as a member of Blackwash.While having a braai at a joint owned by an APLA veteran,i was taken aside by the elder,Gen Fihla,and lectured,for exactly 4 hours,on why i should carry the baton forward.Two weeks later,i was elected into the National Working Committee of Blackwash and a month later,i was appointed the Secretary-General of the September National Imbizo at the Foundation for Human Rights (FHR) boardroom by the NWC of Blackwash,at the time chaired by Andile Mngxitama,columnist and publisher of New Frank Talk.
Despite the parachuting to influential positions,i remained haunted by the exchange with General Fihla.I then resolved to study pan Afrikanism intensely.I had already read most books,but i had to now SYNTHESISE on what they meant,not what they read like.

In the second week of September,i became interested in doing an internship programme at the Alternative Information and Development Centre (AIDC),an internationally renowned Marxist NGO that publishes,among many things,AMANDLA! magazine,a Leftist political journal for activist.A week later,after a huge fallout with Mngxitama,i was diplomatically expelled from both Blackwash and the SNI and shortly afterwards,i packed my bags and relocated to Cape Town to begin my internship programme,under the mentorship of a patient anarchist named Mark Weinberg and a former PASO leader named Thembeka Majali.My pan Afrikanist education continued,guided by APLA comrades in Cape Town,mainly cde Majali and Siyabulela Ndamane.

In January 2011 i returned to Jo'burg,where my mentoring was continued by APLA forces,Justice Mvakali,Xola Tyamzashe,Chris Sankara and ofcourse,General Fihla.Comrades in the diaspora also played (and continue to) a vital role in my education.These include Black Power activist Dr Sayida Self (USA), Maoist radical and founder of the Landless People's Movement (in Azania) Ann Eveleth (USA), APLA veteran who has been in exile for decades,Dr Mzimkhulu Nyeka (USA) as well as Black Consciousness Movement former leader,Tumi wa Thusi (Germany).
In February,i joined a progressive (Marxist) NGO in Jo'burg called Khanya College,in the Jozi Book Fair department.I have since left the organisation to focus on my education on pan Afrikanism,which i do better on my own.And i now consult for organisations and write on a free-lance basis.

WHY PAN-AFRIKANISM?
Having been raised by a mother who was a loyal member of the ANC,who had led in COSAS,many always ask me why my politics became Black Conscious.I don't know either.

I attended a township school until grade 4 (Tshimologo Primary in zone 9 Meadowlands) and later went to a multi-racial Melpark Primary School (in Melville).I proceeded to another multi-racial Florida Park High School (in the west of Jo'burg) where i matriculated.Now,there were no political organisations there.We only had a Disciplinary Committee and RCL Committee,both in which i led.Also,at no point in my educational life did i experience racism directly.I had (and still do have) many White friends.Having been in the Top 5 Academic Honours Roll my entire high school,there is no way that i would have been victimised by the system.Infact,i got along extremely well with my educators,both Black and White.I would see other Black kids being victimised by White authority,and i'd always fight for them,but it never happened to me personally.Whites always respected me,even if i must say so myself.So what exactly drew me to these pro-Black politics,where there is no money,no power and nothing but divisions?
I am still saying that i don't know.

My love for BC was a calling by the Black gods.My passion for pan Afrikanism grew from that love.My mind was revolutionised.

Why am i writing this? What am i explaining?

I am going to let you figure it out. Remember though that after every mental revolution comes a new mentality...but before that,comes a difficult decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment